I Wanna Be in the Room Where It Happens - Shows I'd Love to Direct, Design, or Choreograph!

 


As we all know, I am very big into musical theater! As an actor, I think we have a rather limited viewpoint as to what goes on in the creation of a production. This is the main reason why I would absolutely love to actually direct or choreograph a musical myself! Through my years as an actor and theater enjoyer, there have been quite a few shows that have popped up that I've thought, "Wow, I have so many ideas for that one!" These are those shows!

Legally Blonde
Legally. Blonde. This show is perhaps one of my favorites. I have designed sets for this musical and choreographed unused dances for a few of the songs. I think Legally Blonde has so many possibilities when it comes to directing and choreographing. "Bend and Snap" just as a song has been choreographed in quite a few different ways, and it's the flipping Bend and Snap.

Matilda
Matilda as a story is so fascinating, and I'm in awe and in love with what was done to turn it into a musical. With a number of magical elements, this show has a unique charm to it, also that the cast is mainly comprised of children. I feel like coming up with ways to incorporate that childish innocence into the direction of this musical would be insanely fun. 

Mean Girls
When I tell you this musical has such a tight grasp on me. I absolutely adore the original design of this show for Broadway. While it was "simplistic" (just an LED screen with some real-life furniture like desks), the digital design work on the backdrops was simply stunning. Me being me, I created a set that would work better in a high school or community setting, and with the high school edition now available, it could absolutely come to fruition.

Frozen
Now I know what you might be thinking: "Frozen? Really?" Yes, really. Imagine producing a full version of Frozen. I mean, come on, the critically acclaimed movie that had kids singing "Let It Go" in the car for years on end? Who wouldn't want to make their own version? I would especially enjoy directing the two sisters and help them create their characters, because they are very complex, especially Elsa. Coming up with blocking for large group scenes, especially the coronation and "Colder By the Minute." This musical has a great expanse of imagination that can be put into it, which would be so fun to play with. Also, I can't talk about Frozen without mentioning the quick change. Because duh.

So those are some of the shows I'd love to help create! So, if any of you know about upcoming productions, hit me up. (Also, this is a rather limited list, and I'd really be open to ADing or directing any number of productions. It seems like such an enjoyable aspect of theater.)

Comments

  1. You have so many great ideas for these shows! It would be so cool if at some point in the future you can pursue this, or even help direct and choreograph elementary or summer stage plays. I think “Frozen” would be an amazing thing to direct, especially with Elsa’s quick change. These are all really good show choices and I think you could do something amazing for each of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Jet! I am honored to read about your hopes and dreams in the industry where dreams come true. I think your ideas are truly brilliant and one day I would love to see you carry them out. These are all musicals I could definitely see you being highly involved in and I am here for it, sis. I would even like to see you appear in these shows and make them your own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jet same with you, I feel as if it would be so fun to direct a show (especially a musical). I think you would be great at directing these, especially Matilda, for there is a lot to go into that show, and you would be up for the task. Whenever you do, do these shows, I would love to watch them, for I know that they would be in good hands. I would very much be excited for frozen, and hear "Let It Go" nonstop for the rest of my life. Once again I think you would be amazing working in these productions.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On the Write Track? My Play Writing Process!

Divorced, Beheaded, LOVED! My Review of "Six the Musical" on Broadway!

How to Make Your Theater Quick Changes Not a Rip-Off!